The Variant Basic Bookshelf 1 Sliding Door & Drawers made of ecological solid beech wood. It has a closed section with a Shoji style, rice paper sliding door, three drawers and open sections with shelves. The clean and simple design of this bookshelf makes it perfect for any style of home interior. A horizontal wooden insert in the sliding door gives this bookshelf an extra elegant touch.
This product is no longer in stock
The Variant Bookshelf with one Sliding Door and 3 Drawers offers a modern interpretation of the minimalistic Japanese style.
This model is made of natural, solid beech wood and is extremely multifunctional: it has many shelves, one closed section with a sliding door and three drawers with plenty of storage space.
In total, this bookshelf has 12 height adjustable shelves. Nine of these are positioned in the open sections and three are behind the closed section. Also the lower panel which serves as a top for the drawers can be used as extra shelf space.
The base of this bookshelf is equipped with a small pedestal with leveling feet for extra sturdiness. The entire back of the bookshelf is covered by a rear panel.
Please ask for a price quote if you need custom dimensions or a different number of shelves.
Width x height: from 200 x 200 cm to 250 x 250 cm
Depth: from 30 to 50 cm
Inner depth of the drawers: 5 cm less than the depth of the bookshelf
Exterior and shelves: solid 19 or 26 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Sliding door: solid 19 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Drawers: multi-layered birch with beech wood fronts
The three drawers have 32 mm thick fronts and unusual cut handle openings which allow a convenient handling. The drawers are equipped with a Blum metal sliding system with soft-close dampers. Each drawer is also equipped with 2 pull out stops.
When necessary, this system can easily be unlocked to pull out the drawers completely.
We recommend the Variant Plus Bookshelf with 1 Sliding Door & Drawers if you want drawers with more storage space; here the drawers are 10 cm deeper than the shelves of this model.
We offer different solutions for the Shoji sliding door with the wooden grid and rice paper covering. Characteristic for this design is the wooden horizontal insert in beech wood.
You can choose between three different sliding systems for the Shoji doors:
1. the traditional Japanese wood-on-wood sliding system where the doors glide on wooden rails;
2. sliding doors with integrated wheels which glide on wooden rails;
3. a modern sliding system on metal rails fixed to the base. In this system the doors have height-adjustable wheels.
Lateral millings in the insert serve as handles for an easy opening and closing of the doors. In addition to the version with millings in the horizontal panel as handles, you can also choose sliding doors with no handles or Quadro model handles with a colored panel.
For more information about our sliding systems visit this page: sliding systems for japanese doors
For the Shoji doors rice paper covering we offer different options:
1. Plasticized rice paper. This means that the rice paper is covered with a layer of plastic (PVC) on each side. This type of covering is semi-washable and can be cleaned with a damp cloth and water.
2. White fiber rice paper glued to a polycarbonate panel and then vitrified. For this type of covering the rice paper is first moistened and glued onto a 1mm thick layer of transparent polycarbonate, then it is uniformly sprayed with a water-based vitrifying liquid for further protection. This technique increases the stability while maintaining the natural, slightly creased consistency of the rice paper. With this type of treatment, the Shoji doors become perfectly resistant to shock and pressure, which can occur due to a frequent opening and closing of the wardrobe.
3. Plasticized rice paper with a polycarbonate panel support. A transparent plastic panel will be put behind the rice paper, glueing is not necessary.
For more information about our rice papers and their treatments, visit this page: japanese rice paper
If you wish, the doors can also be covered with whitened beech panels or fabric. Please ask for a price quote if you are interested in this option.
The Variant Basic Bookshelf 1 Sliding Door & Drawers is available in natural untreated wood or wood treated with a water-based ecologic finish in different colours for the panels and the door. If you prefer a transparent finish choose the option "oiled". For more information about our wood finish treatments visit our wood finishings page.
You will need a crosshead screwdriver for the exterior and interior of the bookshelf body and a drill for the rear panel. If you want to hire a fitter in your city, you can use this contact form
When cleaning treated wood use a damp sponge without solvents or cleaning agents. Untreated wood may instead be vacuumed or dusted. The rice paper covering may be vacuumed.