The Variant Plus Bookshelf made of solid beech wood with drawers and two rice paper sliding doors is very elegant and versatile at the same time. It has two sections covered with rice paper sliding doors, three drawers and an open section with shelves. Characteristic for this design, that fits perfectly in any environment, is the wooden insert that gives the Shoji doors an elegant touch.
This product is no longer in stock
The Variant Plus Bookshelf with 2 Sliding Doors and 3 Drawers offers a modern, minimalist interpretation of the traditional Japanese style.
This bookshelf is made of natural, solid lamellar beech wood and has 12 height-adjustable shelves with plenty of space for all kinds of objects and utensils.
The lower drawer section of the bookshelf protrudes for 10 cm compared to the rest of the frame and the base of the bookshelf is equipped with a small pedestal with leveling feet to make it extremely stable.
If you prefer this bookshelf without a protruding lower section, check out our Variant Basic Bookshelf with 2 sliding doors and 3 Drawers. In this model all shelves and drawers have the same depth.
The entire back of the bookshelf is covered with a rear panel.
For a custom number of shelves, ask for a price quote.
Width x height: from 200 x 200 cm to 250 x 250 cm
Depth: from 30 to 50 cm
Inner depth of the drawers: 5 cm less than the depth of the bookshelf
Exterior and shelves: solid 19 or 26 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Sliding door: solid 19 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Drawers: multi-layered birch with beech wood fronts
We offer three different sliding systems for the Shoji doors:
1. the traditional Japanese wood-on-wood system with sliding doors on wooden rails
2. sliding doors with integrated wheels which glide on wooden rails
3. a modern sliding system on metal fixed to the base and doors on height-adjustable wheels
For more information about our sliding systems visit our Japanese sliding doors page.
Regarding the door handles, we offer different solutions starting form the plain version without handles. You can also choose sliding doors with simple groove handles or Quadro model handles with a colored panel.
The three drawers have 32 mm thick fronts and uniquely cut handle openings which allow a convenient handling. The drawers are equipped with a Blum metal sliding system with soft-close dampers. Each drawer is also equipped with 2 pull out stops that can easily be unlocked to pull out the drawers completely when necessary.
For the Shoji doors rice paper covering we offer different options:
1. Plasticized rice paper. This means that the rice paper is covered with a layer of plastic (PVC) on each side. This type of covering is semi-washable and can be cleaned with a damp cloth and water.
2. White fiber rice paper glued to a polycarbonate panel and then vitrified. For this type of covering the rice paper is first moistened and glued onto a 1mm thick supporting layer of transparent polycarbonate, then it is uniformly sprayed with a water-based vitrifying liquid for further protection. This technique increases the stability while maintaining the natural, slightly creased consistency of the rice paper. With this type of treatment, the Shoji doors become perfectly resistant to shock and pressure, which can occur due to a frequent opening and closing of the wardrobe.
3. Plasticized rice paper reinforced with a polycarbonate panel. A transparent plastic panel will be put behind the rice paper, glueing is not necessary. For more information about our rice papers and their treatments, visit the rice paper page.
If you wish, the doors can also be covered with whitened beech panels or fabric. Please ask for an estimate of cost if you are interested in this option.
The Variant Plus Bookshelf with 2 Sliding Doors and 3 Drawers is available in natural untreated wood or wood treated with a water-based ecologic finish in different colours. If you prefer a transparent finish that serves just to protect the wood and make it smoother to the touch, without coloring it, choose the option „oiled“.
For more information about our finish treatments check out our wood finishings page.
You will need a crosshead screwdriver for the exterior and interior of the bookshelf body and a drill for the rear panel. If you prefer to hire a fitter in your city, you can use this contact form
When cleaning treated wood use a damp sponge without solvents or cleaning agents. Untreated wood may instead be vacuumed or dusted. The rice paper covering may be vacuumed or wiped with a damp sponge.