Our Variant Basic Bookshelf with 2 Sliding Doors & Drawers is made of solid beech wood. Two sections of this bookshelf are closed with japanese rice paper, Shoji style sliding doors embellished by a central wooden beam, while the other sections are open with visible shelves on which you can place objects that you want to display. The lower section is equipped with 3 spacious and practical drawers.
This product is no longer in stock
The Variant Bookshelf 2 Sliding Doors and 3 Drawers represents a modern interpretation of the minimalistic Japanese style. This model is made of natural, solid beech wood and is extremely multifunctional: it has many shelves, two sliding door sections with partitions and three drawers with plenty of storage space.
In total, this bookshelf has 12 height adjustable shelves. Six of these are positioned in the open sections and six are behind the closed sections. Also the lower panel which serves as a top for the drawers can be used as extra shelf space.
The base of this bookshelf is equipped with a small pedestal with leveling feet for extra sturdiness.
The entire back of the bookshelf is covered by a rear panel.
Please ask for a price quote if you want a different number of shelves.
Width x height: in the product options you will find different size choices ranging from 200 x 200 cm to 250 x 250 cm
Depth: you can also choose between different depths ranging from 30 to 50 cm
Internal depth of the drawers: 5 cm less than the depth of the bookshelf
If you need personalised dimensions, ask for a price quote specifying the measurements you would like to have for this product.
Exterior and shelves: solid 19 or 26 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Sliding door: solid 19 mm thick lamellar beech wood
Drawers: multi-layered birch with beech wood fronts
The three drawers have 32 mm thick fronts and elegantly cut handle openings which allow a convenient handling. The drawers are equipped with a Blum metal sliding system with soft-closing. Each drawer is also equipped with 2 pull out stops. When necessary, this system can easily be unlocked to pull out the drawers completely.
If you prefer to have this product with bigger drawers, check out the Variant Plus Bookshelf with 2 Sliding Doors & Drawers; here the drawers are 10 cm wider than the shelves of this model.
We offer different solutions for the Shoji sliding doors with Japanese style grid and rice paper covering. A particular characteristic of this design is the wooden insert in beech wood. Lateral grooves on the insert serve as handles for an easy opening and closing of the doors.
In addition to the version with groove handles, you can also choose to have the sliding doors with no handles for a cleaner design, or you can choose to have them with Quadro model handles with a colored panel.
In the options above you will find three different sliding systems for the Shoji doors:
1. the traditional Japanese wood-on-wood system with sliding doors on wooden rails;
2. sliding doors with hidden wheels which glide on wooden rails;
3. a modern sliding system on metal rails fixed to the base and doors on height-adjustable wheels.
For more information about our sliding systems visit our sliding systems for Japanese doors page.
For the Shoji doors rice paper covering we offer different options:
1. Plasticized rice paper: in this options the rice paper is covered with a layer of plastic (PVC) on each side. This type of covering is semiwashable and can be cleaned with a damp cloth and water.
2. White fiber rice paper glued to a polycarbonate panel and then vitrified: for this type of covering the rice paper is first moistened and glued onto a 1mm thick layer of transparent polycarbonate, then it is uniformly sprayed with a water-based vitrifying liquid for further protection. This technique increases the stability while maintaining the natural, slightly creased consistency of the rice paper. With this type of treatment, the Shoji doors become perfectly resistent to shock and pressure, which can occur due to a frequent opening and closing of the wardrobe.
3. Plastified rice paper reinforced with a polycarbonate panel: in this option, a transparent plastic panel will be put behind the rice paper, glueing is not necessary.
For more information about our rice papers and their treatments, visit the rice paper page.
If you wish, the doors can also be covered with whitened beech panels or fabric. Please ask for an estimate of cost if you are interested in this option.
The Variant Basic Bookshelf with 2 Sliding Doors is available in natural untreated wood or wood treated with a water-based ecologic finish in different colours for the panels and the door. If you want just a transparent finish to protect the wood and make it smoother to the touch, choose the option "oiled“.
For more information about our wood finish treatments visit our wood finishings page.
You will need a crosshead screwdriver for the exterior and interior of the bookshelf body and a drill for the rear panel. If you prefer to hire a fitter in your city, you can use this contact form.
When cleaning treated wood use a damp sponge without solvents or cleaning agents. Untreated wood may instead be vacuumed or dusted. The rice paper covering may be vacuumed.